Saturday, January 21, 2012

(GBE35) The Time They Give Us

After recent events, I suppose I need to say that my principal pet peeve has to do with pets--what else?

For those who don't know, my dog, Randy never came out of his epileptic seizure bout on Thursday.  Maryann and I figure that about 2 AM on Friday, Jan 20, he was brain dead.  Our vet came by early on Friday morning and injected the euthanizing drug amid tears and memories.  He was my boy and he's gone despite heroic efforts from our vet and Maryann.


Pets are a significant portion of our lives. In this horrid economy, we spend a great deal of money on feed for the horses, ducks, chicken, rabbits, llamas, fish, birds, dogs, and cats.  We love all our animals but the dogs and cats hold a very, VERY special place in our hearts because we live with them all day and night every day and night. Some even sleep with us either in the bed or right beside it.  These felines and canines get loved on, cuddled, talked to (stepped on, tripped over, cussed at), scratched , brushed and generally have attention poured on them.  In return we get love--selfless, unconditional love and devotion.  These animals get our spirits and our hearts. Unlike the outside animals, they sit beside us for hours and touch us deeply.

Pets, and especially the dogs and cats that own us, generally don't live long enough lives.  Some leave us after only a short time while others linger on longer but most often, we outlive them.  Randy came to me in 2004 and the eight years that followed were full of joy for me and my family.  Randy's job in life, and I've said this many, many times, was to be sure everyone loved him.  And just about everyone he touched with his spirit did.  This is the way of most golden retrievers.

I remember reading somewhere that humans are put on the earth to learn important life lessons, mainly how to love and spread love.  This can and does take decades.  A dog is born knowing how to spread love; therefore its time on earth need not be longer. Perhaps this is the case.  In another blog I listed the sorts of things dogs and cats and other pets can do for people and why:


I've read case studies and stories about animals who have been able to touch and change autistic children; about animals who can reduce blood pressure for those who have hypertension; about animals who have brought back to life people who they loved; about animals who have rescued whole families from fire; and about animals who have traveled thousands of miles to find the people they loved.  Creatures are a gift to us humans.   Watching tropical fish in a tank is a tremendous stress-reducer.  Seeing a herd of young horses galloping across a field is something that can take one's breath away.  Puppy kisses make more than babies laugh!  Cuddling up with a best friend or two while reading a good book or watching a movie is incredibly satisfying.  Having an animal friend you can talk to or cry to without fear of judgement or recrimination  is remarkable.  They DO talk back...it's in their eyes.  It's in their love.

Rarely do we hear of a companion animal living much beyond 20 or 30 years.  There are some, indeed, that do but it seems that those most responsive to human touch linger only a little while. They have their job to do and once it's done, they leave us to our own devices and memories are all that remain.  They pack a lot of life and love in their few short years and leave us with the imprint of that love. I wish they would stay with us longer but apparently that isn't in "the plan".


My dear, dear friend and buddy, Randy, may you Rest in Peace.  I thank you for the laughter, joy, and time you spent with us.  We'll see you again this side of the Rainbow Bridge and you'll remain in our hearts until then.

18 comments:

  1. And many times, when you don't expected, the next teacher shows up at your door.

    Remember him and his lessons, knowing he earned his rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, he will be remembered. And I await the next teacher but not too soon, please :D

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous dog! I know you have hundreds of happy memories of him, even if his passing is sad. He's surely in the equivalent of doggie heaven and waiting for the next ball to be thrown or the next treat given *smile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I put the last bit about waiting this side of the Rainbow Bridge. As a friend told me, "All dogs go to heaven".

      Delete
  3. Wow! A beautiful heart-felt post. I love all critters....especially dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie-like you, I love all animals. Dogs, however, are more than special. They become a part of us.

      Delete
  4. Angels pad through our lives with wagging tales. He was a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...he was indeed an angel and beloved. We always thought he was handsome but I'm partial to goldens, believe me.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Larry, you're making me cry. I still feel the pain I felt 18 years ago when we had to put down our 15-year-old family dog. This is such a beautiful tribute to your Randy and to all our furry companions, and I love your philosophical take on it, though I also wish they could stay with us for far longer. One of my favorite quotes is from Will Rogers: "If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go." I believe all our beloved pets will be waiting for us when we get to the next world. I'm sorry for your loss and pain now, and thank you for this beautiful post and for reminding us how blessed we are to have these wonderful creatures in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, thank you. Animals are special, especially companion animals. They bless us daily with their devotion and love. AND they remain with us in our heads and hearts when they leave this life. I wish I had thought of that Will Rogers' quote, I probably would have included it.

      Delete
  6. (((HUGS))) I have outlived far too many of my furbabies and I still miss each one of them. Two furbabies own us now and are 10 and 11 both will gain a year in May. They are such a blessing and make even Michigan winters bearable. One loves the snow, one hates the cold but both love us.
    I feel your pain and your pleasure at having been loved by Randy. He most certainly is one handsome furboy.
    That rainbow bridge is going to be a delightful stop, isn't it? I will see my darling furbabies who have never for a day left my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh golly, Jo, I'm almost afraid what it's going to be like at the Rainbow Bridge considering how many "furbabies", both dogs and cats as well as horses will be waiting to meet us.

      Like you, we've loved and been loved and lost many friends. They all remain in our hearts.

      Funny how one of your animals loves the snow and one hates the cold--what about spring/summer/fall? Thank you.

      Delete
  7. This made me cry. I lost my dog Gunter this year in June, due to cancer. he was such a trooper. He never showed that he was in pain or hurt even though we knew he was. While I'm glad he's no longer in pain, I miss him terribly. We had him for 13 years. My husband ad I called him our first born. And it still hits me at the most random moments in the day that I just want to kiss his smelly ol' face one more time. And I can't. :( He was so loved and loved us right back with gusto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so sorry...we had a rescue dog die of cancer a couple of years ago and up to just about his last day, he never showed it. It wasn't easy any more than Randy going to the Rainbow Bridge yesterday.

      We're still grieving now but it's going to be the little things and in the random moments that are going to hurt the most.

      One of the things that helps us when we lose a pet or a horse is the poem about the Rainbow Bridge. Do you know it? Here's a link http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

      One of my other commenters gave me a quote that I put on my facebook profile: "If dogs don't go to heaven, then I want to go where they go" and someone else assure me that "all dogs go to heaven".

      My wife and I firmly believe we'll meet with our beloved pets again when our times come. Hopefully you'll find Gunter waiting for you as well.

      Thank you

      Delete
    2. oh this made me cry...............DEFINITELY a pet peeve..

      Delete
  8. Thanks, Brenda...pets are special and just don't hang around long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and Maryann have been blessed to have the love of so many critters, and it's always clear that each of them holds a forever place in your hearts. Before I had an animal in my life, I never understood why people were so heartbroken over the loss of a pet. I would think (I'm a little embarrassed to admit), it's just a dog.

    Then I fell in love with a dog, lost him, and understood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I always have the concern when we lose an animal that the response from some will be just that. My response would be, "it's all about love." But you know that. With all our critters, we can safely say to anyone, love has no limits!

      Thank you

      Delete

Do you like this? Or not? Let me know and also tell me what you might like me to write about. I can't promise anything but will try.